Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Recent Journal Pages


I have been using and loving the new Strathmore Visual Journal series of blank books lately.  The one I am currently using is the 9-inch x 12-inch Bristol version.  The paper has a smooth finish and is 100 lb.  The description on the cover says the following,
“Bristol-Vellum Surface 
Vellum finish is great for any dry media including pencil, charcoal and pastel.  Also good for pen and ink, marker and collage.  Acid free.”

As for the pages I created, the first one contains printed photographs, stencils, a taped in flower, and journal writing.  The page is about my sister’s graduation from college at the University of Minnesota.  The stencils are from the Stencil 101 Ed Roth stationery kit.  To spray them onto the page, I used copic markers and the copic airbrush system. I really enjoyed how the copic markers worked as a spray medium.  The thing I had trouble with was the air can getting really cold.  I feared that it might explode.  The air can states the angle to properly hold the can and to not use it for an extended period of time.  I found this a bit annoying, since the angle I was using, was the angle I could achieve the results I was looking for.  Apparently the can getting cold is completely normal, and is just one of the drawbacks of compressed air cans.

The next set of pages makes use of a variety of tape, copic markers, and a Photoshopped “stencil” photo of my sister.  I liked this photo because it sort of looks like both my sister and me.  This was my first attempt at using tape to create a shirt.  I also was experimenting with outlining shapes, which is something that I didn’t do until I learned about this technique through online mentors.  I give credit to Teesha Moore, Misty Mawn, and Mary Ann Moss.  By the way, Mary Ann Moss is teaching a new online class beginning Friday, June 17th called Full Tilt Boogie.  You can find out all of the gorgeous details by clicking on the class title. 

 
Finally the last page spread I have to share includes a spray-painted pocket page on the left.  The right side of the page is a bunch of shredded security envelopes and other paper ephemera that was used as padding in a box I received.  I just loved the tiny shapes, colors, and bits of security envelope.  I used glossy Mod-Podge to glue the pieces to the journal page. 




2 comments:

Soraya Nulliah said...

Dear Briana-wow!! love what you have done here! I am getting more into my art journaling and have to try out these Strathmore books. Thanks so much for visiting my blog the other day-yes! Lis is seriously awesome!-Soraya
P.S. I also love the name of your blog BTW...it takes big huge serious courage to create!

Anonymous said...

I love your pages Briana...what a wonderful way to commemerate a graduation...have you shown your sister?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails