Sunday, August 22, 2010

Indie Bookstores

Yesterday, on Saturday, my dad and I went on an Indie bookstores tour of the Twin Cities. I had this idea last winter, but we decided to wait for nice, summer weather, which yesterday provided. We started at Birchbark Books in Minneapolis, which is owned by well known author Louise Erdrich.



They have an excellent children's book collection, especially for Native American stories and history, and languages.

Susan is behind the counter. She was most helpful, friendly and informative about the store.


Anyone who loves SARK is my friend!!!

The store carries a nice selection of blank journals and book reader's journals.

This unique nook was one of my favorite parts of the store decor.



Below are a few images from the walls of the restroom.

I fell in love with these posters by Kenneth Patchen.

More store decor . . .
After looking around Birchbark Books, we went next door to the Kenwood Cafe. I fell in love with this local coffee and food spot, too!





MMM ice cream . . .

Susan from Birchbark Books offered to take a photo of me and my dad, so we went back briefly for a quick photo opportunity. It is good to keep memories like these in picture format.

Oh, how I LOVE books!!!!

Stay tuned . . . for more bookstore tour reports!

1 comment:

Galit said...

I love independent bookshops so much and it is getting harder to find them!
I also discovered a really lovely one, full of character, in Adelaide lately. I should go back to visit and take some photos.

Enjoyed reading your post and looking at your photos! I love it that the shops have different focus and personality not like the mainstream big once who look, smell and offer the same range everywhere.
Great post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails